Thursday, June 18, 2009

2009 Fear Itself Challenge



JULY 1 - DECEMBER 31

The main link for this challenge is here..

What's the deal?


No, it's not about reading horror novels. Well, unless those are the ones you tend to avoid.

I wanted to start a challenge that really challenged people. That dared people to read outside their comfort zones. Pick up a book that they'd otherwise look over. Thus Fear Itself was born (although I think I overdid it a little on the blood).

Do what now?

Between July 1st and December 31st, I challenge you to read 3, just 3, books that, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't give a second look to. Avoid Gossip Girl like a VD? Now's the chance to grab one. Does horror freak you out? Grab an RL Stine.

Why?

Like I said above, we have a tendency of reading in our own comfort zones and don't often venture out of it unless really urged to. Well, consider yourself urged. It's a good thing to read something that you might not on your own accord. It broadens you as a reader and as a reviewer. Read widely is an excellent mantra. It'll, if nothing more, keep you reading.

Why six months? Dude, have you ever read a book that you're not thrilled about reading or try to force yourself through something? Yeah, it might take a little longer. Especially if you're into procrastination. You can read more if you want. But 3's your minimum.

The Catch

Yup. There is one. You can't not finish the book. And it MUST be reviewed. Now you see why the 3? This'll get you to evaluate why you ended up liking the liking the book even though you were groaning to read it. Or why it just solidified your opinion that is sucked like a vacuum. So choose your books wisely. If you really don't think you can get through Hemingway, don't choose one of his works. Hey, I feel your pain. I have an Alphas book in my pile that I'm sure I'll be in tears by the end of it questioning humanity but I'm going to read it.

So are there books out there that you "should" read? Have friends begging you to read although you don't think you'll be interested? Not only is this good for expanding your reading, but it's a good way to utilize your local library too.

~

You don't have to stick to just YA books. You can choose whatever you want. If you want to sign up, just use the Mr. Linky here. You can either link to a post on your blog with your book list or just your blog in general. On July 1st I'll post the review post where you can start linking to your reviews. Feel free to snag the little banner I made up top to show that you're participating in this challenge but please link back to this post so people don't have to go rooting around for it.

Rise Of The Bludgens The 4th Breed by Marcus Redgrave (Extremely Young Adult)
Night Moves I by Kiernan Kelly, Matt Brooks, Erastes and Kira Stone (Gay Vampires)
Rot by Michele Lee (Zombies)

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I went over there and signed up. Now I just have to choose my books!

Donna (Bites) said...

Woohoo! Thanks so much for posting this, DR!

Desert Rose said...

Sharon, That's great partner, I better go check your choices, might steal a few ideas :)

Donna, it was my pleasure and I signed up too :)